Friday, November 7, 2014

Friday, 7 November 2014

After a hearty breakfast, we set off to Velemmal Higher Matriculation School. We received a warm welcome from the the students and staff. They applied 'kumkuma' and 'saffron' on our forehead as it is believed that this allows the humankind to open spiritually to the Divine. Thus they have been applied there as it is believed by Indians to be the most holy.

After the greetings, we went to their classrooms and experienced how the school conducts their lessons. We were amazed by their Mathematics lessons as the teacher was able to calculate complicated equations with ease. Their classrooms were much much smaller compared to the ones in Singapore and they used a blackboard and chalk instead of our usual usage of whiteboards and markers. The teacher also explains in clear detail references to real life scenarios which was a very huge impact to us all.

After observing these interesting lessons, we were all invited to another room to taste the variety of traditional  Indian sweets  that are prepared during festivals and special occasions, from all the different states of India. They served these sweets on a long banana leaf and we were appreciative of their hospitality. From our experience, we realised that the Indians truly lived to the principle of  Atithi Devo Bhava, meaning "the guest is God", as explained by the teachers from the Indian school.

Next, we were treated to an enchanting dance performance by the students. They performed the different forms of dances from the various states of India. After that we played traditional games of India.  We also had a good time interacting with the students from the school and exchanging our experiences. 












Student reflection:

As I entered the home, I saw the 39 girls and I was really amazed by their confidence and happiness. I am really honored to attend and be present at such an amazing place. Despite the challenges these young kids face, I can see that these kids have a  happy and positive mindset. This experience has made a great impact on me and I have realized that, I must develop a positive mindset to experience greater success in my life.

- Mohammad Danish
Our visit to the home was definitely fruitful and meaningful. We were greeted with great enthusiasm from the young kids. It was an enriching visit and I am happy and honored to be able to visit and  help out at the home today. 

- Jedrek Lim
I felt that the children were very enthusiastic and happy at all times no matter the circumstances. I felt elated  that they also enjoyed our performance and gifts.

- Ernest Tham

At first, I thought that the visit to the home would be another normal activity. I was not feeling too eager but the smiles on the children face changed my overall perspective of the visit. I felt that it was a very fruitful and meaningful programme. I also realized that small acts of kindness brings joy to others. I have learned to become more appreciative of all the blessings I have received. I hope that Punggol Secondary would continue to support this home and bring happiness to these young children.

 - Asyley 
  






1 comment: